There are many women in the Cary community who have experienced hardships or work around the clock to take care of others and give back to the community. We created the Cary Cares campaign to give back to and celebrate these women!
Dr. Patel and her team received many amazing nominations this past fall and ultimately narrowed it down to three inspiring women: Michaela Tomás, Amanda Hudson and Emma Butler.
Each makeover winner received the following:
- Teeth Whitening provided by Dr. Patel of Preston Dental Loft (Estimated Value: $500)
- Signature Manicure & Pedicure provided by Paintbase (Estimated Value: $80)
- Massage provided by The Mayton Inn (Estimated Value: $95)
- Makeup provided by Beach Beauty (Estimated Value: $50)
- Hair Cut, Color & Styling provided by Triniti Salon (Estimated Value: $100)
- Restaurant Gift Card provided by Enrigo Italian Bistro (Estimated Value: $30)
- One-Month Unlimited Membership provided by Hustle Fitness Studio (Estimated Value: $158)
- Headshots, Behind the Scenes Photography, Family Mini Session & Custom Gift provided by Mylina Russell Photography (Estimated Value: $650)
- Gift Card provided by Holl & Main Boutique (Estimated Value: $25)
Michaela Tomás, a mother of six, has recently gone through colon surgery due to cancer. Michaela was nominated by her daughter Teresa who wrote, “My mom, instead of turning bitter, has embraced the challenge and has looked for ways to improve herself and look after her own mental health. She has finally started to take care of herself after so many years of taking care of everyone else. She is a role model. She is a champion, a beast. I’m so proud of her and I know she deserves everything good in this world.” Michaela is originally from Germany and homeschooled each of her six children. In the past few years, she lost over 50 pounds by eating healthy and exercising. She is a two-time marathon finisher and has completed half-marathons and bicycle races over 60 and 120 miles.
The second winner of the Cary Cares makeover campaign, Amanda Hudson, is a Pre-K teacher in Cary and works with children with disabilities. In April 2017, Amanda was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer at the age of 27 while her husband was deployed overseas. She eventually had a double mastectomy and multiple surgeries for reconstruction. Now that Amanda is cancer-free, she continues to spend her time advocating for breast cancer research, and helps plan and organize the Race for the Cure in Raleigh. Nominated by two friends, they mentioned, “She volunteers her time, gives speeches and is a true warrior. Battling cancer has taken a toll on her physical and emotional health, she deserves to be pampered as she rarely puts herself first or makes time for herself.”
The third recipient of this year’s makeover is Emma Butler, a mother juggling multiple jobs and working towards her Bachelor’s degree. Nominated by her boyfriend, Jon, he noted, “Emma is the hardest worker I have ever met. She works a nearly full-time job as a supervisor at Starbucks and is one of the highest-rated shift supervisors in our state. She works so hard taking care of me and our daughter, that she barely has time to care for herself. She works six days a week (sometimes seven) and is the most amazing mother of all time. She deserves it more than anyone I know.”
Thank you to our Cary Care Sponsors for donating their services to give back to women in the Cary community.
Interested in donating or becoming a sponsor for our 2020 makeover? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.